About Haidong Gumbo
Master Sul Bong established a dojang by Sam Ji Lake in the Baekdoo Mountains and taught his apostles a martial art based on the ideas of patriotism, filial piety, respecting the elderly and executing righteousness.
Among them, the outstanding ones were called Samurang and they were always at the front line of the battle against injustice.
The true principle of Haidong Gumdo is to execute justice with the ‘sword light’ that is obtained at the break of day from majestic and brilliant sunlight that glows over the east sea.
In recent days, master Jang Baek San passed down a martial art to Mr. Jeong-Ho Kim, beginning in 1961.
Mr. Kim modernised the art and established his dojang in Ahn Yang city on July 24, 1982. On April 10th, 1984, he founded the Korean Haidong Gumdo Federation in the Seocho district of Seoul and established the World Haidong Gumdo Federation on November 25, 1996.
The basic techniques of Haidong Gumdo is fencing, cutting, thrusting, combat and abdominal breathing exercises and is the background that formed Kokuryo’s Samurang becoming Kokuryo most powerful martial art and history.
Characteristics of Haidong Gumbo
- Haidong Gumdo is a family martial art that 3 generations may practice together.
- Haidong Gumdo is a traditional martial art reflecting the glories of the ancient Korean kingdom that ruled over eastern Asia.
- You can manage an emergency situation or counter violence with self-defense training of Haidong Gumdo.
- Exercising with a sword, learning Haidong Gumdo increases the practitioner’s level of concentration than any other methods.
- Haidong Gumdo assists you to overcome yourself, release stresses and refine yourself with hard training.
- Haidong Gumdo helps students to nourish their minds to obtain patriotism, filial piety, loyalty and faithfulness.
- Practicing Haidong Gumdo, you will exercise the whole body to perform various techniques.
- Haidong Gumdo improves the practitioner’s muscle endurance, reaction time, and sense of balance.
- Haidong Gumdo improves the practitioner’s level of confidence.
- Haidong Gumdo combines breathing exercises and meditation with physical training so that practitioners learn to control their mind as well as their body.
- From the young to the old, both male and female can learn Haidong Gumdo.
- Haidong Gumdo is an international martial art that is trained in 50 countries by a million practitioners across the world.